Confluence macros overview
In Confluence we have defined over 70 macros. Confluence macros are fully configurable components that we can use to create more sophisticated and atractive pages. From previous article about more content options we know that full set of macros is available during page edition in the main menu under the position Other macros.
Because the number of defined macros is very big for any kind of user I grouped them into smaller packages joined by the criterion of functionality.
Here we have full list of created macro groups:
- Simple content macros (15)
- Search macros (3)
- Files macros (8)
- Information macros (4)
- Lists or tables of contents (15)
- Page layout macros (8)
- Reports macros (6)
- Widgets and Gadgets macros (6)
- Other macros (6)
Shortened description of every macro is available below and in the next series of articles I will show you all the macros in details.
Simple content macros (15)
1. Anchor macro can be used when you create table of contents and you want to enable quick access to some part of the page. Than you can put anchor in interesting place and link to this place.
2. Create Space Button macro you can use on one of your main pages in existing space to enable you a quick access to create a new space. Probably you will not use this option very often.
3. Cheese macro insert into your page a text I like cheese! You can use this macro to make quick test if everything works well in Confluence.
4. Content by Label macro displays all pages labeled by label you selected. You can define many options like: how many pages must be displayed per page, how content must be displayed (simple content with link to page or parts of the pages with link). You can also filter pages by creators, last modified or just by text.
5. Panel macro creates simple panel. You can type title and text into panel. It is another kind of form you can use on the page besides tables.
6. Loremipsmu macro is very usefull macro that enables you to quickly fill empty areas on your page and check if created structure is exactly what you wanted. At the end of the design page process you can quickly remove the macro and type the appropriate text.
7. Share Links Bookmarklet Button macro you can use to copy url of the page you are currently on into another web browser tab or an email.
8. Task report macro gives you quick access to save all tasks in a form of list with checkboxes on the left. You can keep all task in one page and verify what you have done.
9. Profile picture macro presents a profile image of the selected user. You can use this as a form of promotion for the user that created a page.
10. User Profile macro displays a link with profile picture to the detailed information page for selected user. Using this macro you enable fast access for another users to verify for example he profile of page creator.
11. Status macro allows you to create simple status buttons. For every button you can define text that will be displayed inside and the colors of background and border of the button.
11. RSS Feed macro allows you to connect to any rss feed eigther from Confluence or from external website. In this second option you need to be sure that selected website has been added to the whitelist in Confluence. Using this macro you can create on page with all news from all websites that you are interested in it.
12. Change History macro just displays the history of version comments. This is very simple macro and you can configure it without any problems.
13. Chart macro can be used to visualize your internal data on a page. It is important do say that this macro uses datas from tables defined within it.
14. Code Block macro will make every programmer happy. Confluence proposes lots of possible formats of code different for almost every known programming languages. You can also define line numbering and style of displayed code.
15. No Format macro removes any formating on selected text. You have a guarantee that your type in the macros text will be unformatted during mass text formatting.
Search macros (3)
1. Page Tree Search macro allows you to create search engine for the whole space or for substet of you pages. The only things you need to do is to type the name of the root page within search engine will be working.
2. Livesearch macro is a little bit like google search. You just start typing the text and some proposal of pages appears below the search area. You can easily select one of them to be redirected to the new searched page.
3. Search Results macro can be used for displaying aggregated pages from different spaces with diffrerent typed criteria in one place. You can for example display last pages created by selected users to see what is new in your knowledge base.
Files macros (8)
1. Attachments macro just gives you a simple way to display all attached files to the active page.
2. Excel macro is very interesting macro. Using it you can embbed content of your excel files directly into Confuence page. You beautifull graphs now can be accessed from you knowledge base.
3. Office Powerpoint macro like excel macro allow you to display content of your presentation into active page. You can mix different type of contents without thinking about technology stack.
4. Office Word macro provides you a mechanism to embbed your formated text from Word editor into Confluence page. You can quickly publish your old Words documents into one place and allows Confluence to search through it.
5. PDF macro works the same like Word, Excel and PowerPoint macros. You just drag and drop your PDF document into the page to enable it for other users.
6. Gallery macro can be used when you have lots of images that present some aspect of any problem and you want to display them in one place. Gallery macro allows you to define a way how to display images.
7. Mutlimedia macro is just like youtube or even better. You can drag and drop all files of video types about your topic and display them in the form of gallery on one page. You can mix it with other macros to make new user experience with different type of contents now available on simple web pages.
8. Widget Connector is specialized version of multimedia macro. It allows only to embbed video from youtube.com. The only thing you should do is to paste the url to the video from the Internet and set the size.
Information macros (4)
1. Info macro allows any user to show short information with title and bordered frame on the page.
2. Tip macro enables you to show content in the framed bordered area. The whole text is displayed in the green background. You can use it to underline the meaning of the text message to other users.
3. Warning macro highliths any content as a warning note with a red background. It is strong information to the user that something important message is displayed.
4. Note macro informs user that he should look at this place on the page. This macro highliths content with a yellow background.
Lists or tables of content (15)
1. Space attachments macro is usefull when you want to display all attachments from any space in one place. You can filter files by spaces, labels and file extensions. List of files is presented in a form of long table. When you add the macro to a page you still have a possibility to filter images by different criteria.
2. Space Details macro does not do anything special. It just displays short information about space like: name, key, home page, created by etc. You probably will not use this macro very often.
3. Space List macro presents the list of available contents in your Confluence knowledge base. You can create one page with listed spaces and keep it in you bookmarks. From such prepared page you can easily create any page by click plus icon near by interesting space.
4. Table of Content Zone macro creates a list of content with bullets. Content should be inside the macro. The list of content is created at the beggining and at the end of content.
5. Table of Contents macro is very similar to table of content zone macro but this macro displays the list of content for the whole page. The list of content is displayed only once in the place where the macro is placed.
6. User List macro is simple macro that displays list of all users in your Confluence or only these users that are assigned to a selected group membership.
7. Favourite Page macro displays the list of all your favourite pages. Confluence allows you to click on any page link named Save for later and exactly the pages are displayed.
8. Blog Posts macro might be interesting option for the users that want to keep all new articles from blogs of other users. Using this macro you can easily show all the mentioned articles in one place. You can think about this like internal Confluence mechanism of RSS feed.
9. Contributors macro displays list of all users that made any changes in the page so you have simple solution to see the history of engagement users in the page.
10. Page Index macro allows you to create a page with list of all pages within a space. Pages are displayed in an alphabetical way and you can search article by the first letters used in page titles.
11. Popular Label macro just displays popular labels in the form of list.
12. Recently Updated macro lists the whole story of updates in the pages within selected space.
13. Contributors Summary macro is more detailed version of Contributors macro. It displays list of all contributors with short information about each one.
14. Labels List macro displayes all pages for the selected label. It may be used when you have one page with search engine that allows you to search pages grouped by label.
15. Content by User macro enables you a possibility to display pages created by a particular user. Using this macro you can keep on one page list of articles created by users that you are interested in it.
Page layout macros (8)
1. Column macro can be used with sections layout. You can mix any content with two, three or more columns using this macro. You need to remember to type any content into the column.
2. Create from template macro allows you to create buttons with assigned functionality like creating page template. You can use one of ten ready to use page templates that can be available under the button click action.
3. Children Display macro just displays all subpages according to selected by you any main page. You can define many settings for this macro like: number of subpages, display order or type of view.
4. Expand macro can be used when you want to hide any connect as default. If user wants to read hidden connect he needs to click on the expand macro link.
5. Include Page macro gives a very handy way to combine the contents of several pages into one. You select tha page that you are interested in it and that’s it.
6. Page Tree macro allows you to display all pages in space or all children pages according to selected page in a form of list. The list can be expanded or collapsed by the user.
7. Section macro only groups any other content available in Confluence into one block named section.
8. Roadmap Planner macro can be very usefull tool for anybody that needs to control set of different actions through the long time of period. You can add bars, markers and link any bar into page with some details about a bar content.
Reports macros (5)
1. Content Report Table macro
2. Global Reports macro
3. JUnit Report macro
4. Page properties macro
5. Page properties report macro
Widgets and Gadgets macros (6)
1. Activity Stream macro
2. Confluence Page Gadget macro
3. Confluence QuickNav macro
4. Confluence: News macro
5. Jira macro
6. Jira Charts macro
Other macros (6)
2. Excerpt Include
3. IM Presence
4. Navigation Map
6. Recently Updated Dashboard