Jira emails configuration
Defining emails we start from the main navigation menu selecting System option in the Settings position.
It is a standard that when we want to define anything what is not standard function in the system we need to go through the additional process of authentication. All we need to do is to type password for our administrator user.
When you are in a system settings you need to go to the MAIL section where we click on Outgoing Mail.
If you are first time in this place you should have no SMTP Mail Server configured like you can see below. We click on Configure new SMTP mail server button to start configuration process.
We should see three section in the SMTP Mail Server panel:
- General parameters
- SMTP direct parameters
- JNDI parameters
In general section parameters we need to type:
- Name – this is the name of the server, but this name is used only for internal needs
- Description – short decription about SMTP mail server
- From address – this is what you will see in sender position in your mailbox when Jira sends you an email
- Email prefix – this prefix will start the title of every email sent by Jira
In Server Details section we need to type parameters that define access to our SMTP mail server. We have all this parameters listed below:
- Service Provider – leave this settings as default (Custom)
- Protocol – use can select one of two defined: SMTP or SECURE_SMTP
- Host Name – this is your SMTP host name
- SMTP Port – you can leave default value or type the value that your SMTP provider recommends
- Timeout – leave this value as default
- TLS – if your SMTP provider supports this option you can check this
- Username – this is in most cases your phisical email
- Password – this is password to your SMTP to authenticate user
If you cannot define your email using parameters from the two previous sections it is probably your last chanse to use JNDI Location do define your dedicated way of SMTP mail server configuration.
When you fill all parameters correctly you only need to click button Add to save the SMTP mail server configuration.
If everything was filled correctly you should see information that The connection was successful. In order to get such information you need to click the button Test Connection.
You should finally see a newly created record with your SMTP mail server configuration.