HyperCube Evolution advantages
HyperCube Evolution 3d printer is one of the best 3d printers available in the market for makers. I tested lots of different 3d printers and some main factors are the most important for the quality of final printed parts. These factors are as follow:
- frame stiffness – this will result in smooth surface of the printed component, the profiles used in the printer are 30 mm thick
- bed movement – it is very important to have plate that moves up and down; this way of working gives you more precise printing because you make only one movement every each layer so you don’t have problems with platform inertia
- automatic or semi automatic plate system – with touching build plate sensor you can have the solution with automatic position of your plate and you don’t need think that 3d printer can de-calibrate during printing
All these advantages that HypeCube has will give you more time on printing and save time for setup every printed parts. And believe me setup part might be a nightmare if you have weak 3d printer without correct stiffness and without auto-positioning option.
Main mechanical parts to build frame of Hypercube
The most important part in the whole construction of 3d printer is a frame. We can build frame from aluminum profiles. In order to build the 3d printer in internal operational size in 300x300x300 mm we need to have such list of pieces:
- 4 pcs x 3030 aluminum profile, 42cm – frame X extrusion
- 6 pcs x 3030 aluminum profile, 41cm – frame Y extrusion
- 4 pcs x 3030 aluminum profile, 50cm – frame Z extrusion
- 2 pcs x 2020 aluminum profile, 25,5cm – bed frame X extrusion
- 2 pcs x 2020 aluminum profile, 41,5cm – bed frame Y extrusion
My advice here is to order all the aluminum extrusions cut to size. You will not waste time to do it on your own especially when you don’t have enough place in your house.
Use connectors to build Hypercube construction
Having all aluminum extrusions for frame we need to be able to connect all parts into one piece. We can use such list of connectors:
- 24 pcs of t slot l-shape 3030 inner brackets connectors (4 in package)
- 4 pcs of t slot l-shape 2020 inner brackets connectors (8 in package)
- 4 pcs of t slot 3-way 3030 end corner brackets (4 in package)
- 4 pcs of aluminum extrusion 3030 end cap cover (40 in package)
I tested all this connectors especially for you so you don’t need to waste time to find optimal list of components.
The only thing that is worth to do is to find in your local market more optimal numbers of every components in packages.
Fasteners for screwing the frame and 3d printed parts
Next part of components that we need to order are two type of fasteners and adequate to them hammer nuts.
In most cases you will get this fasteners packed in 100 pcs. Let’s check it:
- 6 pcs of M6 x 10 mm – Hex Socket Button Head Cap Screws
- 60 pcs of M5 x 10 mm – Hex Socket Button Head Cap Screws
- 28 pcs of hammer nuts M5 for 3030 – M5 T Hummer nuts for 3030
- 32 pcs of hammer nuts M5 for 2020 – M5 T Hummer nuts for 2020
We need them to screw all the aluminum extrusions into one frame and screw all the components into the frame.
Fasteners for screwing details in printed parts
Process of assembly for all the printed parts with motors, shafts, belts is more complicated and time consuming.
Let’s go through all the fasteners:
- 4 pcs x M3x8
- 18 pcs x M3x10
- 10 pcs x M3x16
- 12 pcs x M3x20
- 8 pcs x M3x25
- 4 pcs x M3x30
- 4 pcs x M3 bolt
Definitely number of different M3 screws you need to use is more longer than you used to build the frame. The good thing is that you need only screws M3 (diameter 3 millimeters).
You can get full package of M3 Socket Head Cap Screws from Amazon.
Assembling 3D printer bed frame
I prepared below the gallery of photos showing important places where you need to screw aluminum extrusions and components with the fasteners:
I tried to present you all mounting places from both sides of the bed frame.
Look especially for the small nuts that has awesome mechanism with spring and ball. The mechanism keeps the nut in one place.
Assembling z nut brackets into bed frame
At this point we start the real work that will bring us closer to the final assembly of the the 3d printer.
Assembling z nut brackets with bed frame is very important step and you need to do it very precisely.
In this stage you should have:
The 3d printed parts need to fit properly with both bed frame and main screws that will allow us to move along Z axis.
Mounting motors with screws into main frame
In this part of assembling our Hypercube Evolution 3d printer we need to have prepared some additional components like:
- T8 anti backlash spring loaded nut elimination gap nut + couplings 5mm to 8mm Stepper Motor Coupler set – available here
- 2pcs of Nema17 motors with screws